We have prepared a review of important updates to Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central 17 (not a new system but important Dyn365BC updates released twice a year) and presented them at Dynamics 365 BC Launch Event which was held online on October 21, 2020.
The value of updates for your company
Business Central is developing based on Modern Lifecycle Policy. The format is similar to that of Microsoft Windows 10: you can work in the same system without thinking about updates or new version releases. As part of the support we provide, we update your system version to the latest one.
Dynamics 365 BC (2020 Wave 2) global updates
- Optimization of web application performance:
- Role center (first page) loading is 40% faster (a page full of reports and tiles will load gradually to enable users to work in the system as quickly as possible);
- Working with other Dynamics 365 Business Central pages is 20% faster.
- New functionality (Productivity Enhancement). Microsoft has introduced quite a few new functionalities. We have listed the main changes below. The full list of changes can be found
- Improved integration with Power Platform and Office 365. For example, a new module for email management from BC is now available.
- New development opportunities in Visual Studio
Important details by Awara IT
- Business Central Business Hub: This allows adding companies to BC from other tenants for quick access and viewing basic information.
- Useful for outsourcing accounting and distributed companies.
- VAT Group Management: for convenient reporting.
- Integration from Business Central to Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations (F&O, AX).
- Background scanning/financial journal validation (checking while working with journal). This makes the work of finance departments faster and easier.
- Creating a client or supplier from a contact using templates.
- New module for management of email and newsletters from BC: using scripts, drafts, etc.
- Integration with Microsoft Teams (using the Teams add-on processes links to BC and turns them into a product card or document in the messenger).
- New localizations: Brazil, Ireland, Lithuania, India (!)
- Business Central and Common Data Service integration optimization.
- Optimization of interface and speed of page opening.
- 8 filters for financial statements and chart of accounts (previously there were only 2 global ones).
Awara IT recommendations
Please note that the official extended support for previous system versions will end as follows:
- Dynamics NAV 2009 – official support ended
- Dynamics NAV 2013 – official support ended
- Dynamics NAV 2015 – official support ended
- Dynamics NAV 2016 – official support to end on April 13, 2021
- Dynamics NAV 2017 – official support to end on January 11, 2022
- Dynamics NAV 2018 – official support to end on January 10, 2023
This means that Microsoft will add new functionalities and change existing ones, fix bugs and errors until the abovementioned dates. Security updates for older Dynamics NAV versions will be released until 2025-2027. We recommend upgrading to new Dynamics 365 BC versions in due time before the end of the main support stages. This way, you will be guaranteed reliable work in ERP and the most productive use of the capabilities of both ERP and other Microsoft products.